The future is now when it comes to material handling. Automated material handling solutions are changing the way manufacturing facilities and warehouses operate.
There are many reasons why letting technology take over your material handling operation can be a huge benefit. Let’s take a deeper look at why an automated material handling system from Naumann/Hobbs can improve operations and keep goods moving.
What is an Automated Material Handling System?
Efficiency reigns supreme in material handling. An automated material handling system can help you run an efficient warehouse or plant with the help of computerized devices and technology. These high-tech systems use devices and even robotics to retrieve, pull, push, lift, and move all kinds of materials.
Types of Automated Material Handling Solutions
A solid automated system helps your business work smarter and not harder. There are many automated material handling solutions available today.
Naumann/Hobbs specializes in systems that automate order picking and retrieval with a variety of different systems, including:
- Pick Modules: Pick modules are designed to work with storage systems to automate order picking. They also include transit systems, such as conveyors and carts.
- Automated Guided Vehicle Systems (AGVS): AGVS move materials around a warehouse or facility. They can carry almost any load type and can be programmed to handle all kinds of routes. Learn more about AGVS.
- Horizontal Carousels: Horizontal carousels are another type of automated material handling solution that makes order picking easier. They can be specialized to each application, from batch picking and beyond.
- Vertical Carousels and Vertical Lift Modules (VLMs): VLMs are designed to retrieve items up and down and make overhead space and cube storage more accessible. They can also be specialized depending on need.
- Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems (ASRS): There are many kinds of ASRS available from Naumann/Hobbs. These goods-to-person solutions can help improve efficiency by cutting travel time and creating high-density storage.
- Shuttle Systems: These versatile ASRS are designed for flexibility and high-density storage. Shuttle systems can also increase pick rate and productivity.
- Pick-to-Light, Put-to-Light, and Voice-Picking Systems: These systems guide users through warehouse processes and help ensure speed and accuracy.
An expert in warehouse design and layout can help you choose the right automated equipment and material handling solution for your facility’s needs.
Manual vs Automated Material Handling
Material handling is essential to almost every industry. Today’s businesses certainly have options when it comes to finding the right material handling solutions. One major consideration in choosing a solution is manual vs automated material handling.
Manual Material Handling
You rely on your employees to do the work when you implement a manual material handling process. Workers push, pull, lift, retrieve, carry, and hold materials to keep them moving. They might use machinery like forklifts, cranes, manual pallet jacks, and conveyors to get the job done.
Relying on manual labor doesn’t require a hefty investment upfront and can be adaptable to changes in procedures. However, humans can make mistakes and ongoing safety training is mandatory.
Automated Material Handling
Material handling automation removes a portion of the human element. These systems rely on technology for task completion. Some automated material handling systems do rely on a human element for help, such as scissor lifts, pallet positioners, and automatic conveyors.
There are a few benefits to using automated material handling solutions. They can be flexible and scaled to many operations, they might help you save money in the long run, enhance workplace safety, and they can minimize errors in picking and order handling.
Let’s look at some of the other benefits of automating your warehouse.
5 Benefits of Automated Material Handling
It’s a fact: automated material handling solutions are designed to make work easier and increase efficiency. 5 top benefits of implementing material handling automation in your facility include:
- Maximize space: Using the right automation solutions can increase your storage density while helping you maximize space utilization in your warehouse.
- Reduce accidents and injuries: An automated system can reduce the risk of warehouse accidents and injuries by alleviating some human effort.
- Increase warehouse value: In many cases, automating your warehouse can increase the resale value of your property.
- Provide better customer service: Customers will find that orders are likely fulfilled faster and more efficiently when automated solutions are in place.
- Improve efficiency: Warehouse automation and automated material handling solutions all boil down to efficiency. Workers can accomplish more when machines and technology are on their side.
Join the Future of Automated Material Handling with Naumann/Hobbs
Are you ready to implement automated material handling solutions in your warehouse, manufacturing plant, or other facilities? Let Naumann/Hobbs design a custom solution for you. Our material handling experts are ready to help you automate processes and design the best system to meet your individual business needs.
Reap the benefits of automated material handling. Start planning a customized system with help from Naumann/Hobbs. Contact us online today to talk to an expert.